Sunday, May 24, 2009

1st CSA box of the season

Now I know summer is officially here. Yes, I know it's Memorial Day weekend, but on Friday we received our first CSA box of the season. For those of you not familiar with the term, CSA stands for Community Sponsored Agriculture. We pay directly to a farmer who provides us with boxes of organic veggies throughout the growing season. I look at it as a win-win situation for both of us. Marc & I love our veggies and this way we get the freshest organic veggies. It does take some planning. For instance, this weeks box contains: over a pound of asparagus, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, green garlic, arugula, 12 oz. of button mushrooms, and a pound and a half of rhubarb. Now I'm not fond of rhubarb (to put it mildly). What I will do is use some of it in a recipe and take the rest into work on Tuesday and give to a friend who I know loves rhubarb. Very rarely do I get a veggie that I do not like, and if that's the case, I also make arrangements to find another home for it! I don't want the food to go to waste. I have lots of veggie cook books, many of which I've picked up second hand at rummage sales and used book sales and used book stores. Plus, the CSA I belong to provides a weekly newsletter that contains some recipes and tips for utilizing the veggies each week. As there is just Marc & I in our household, we signed up for the every other week box as opposed to the weekly box. Getting one box every other week is more than enough for us!

I am working on projects, but I have bit of a delay. I am waiting patiently for the order I placed with Papertrey. They have this wonderful new set which is perfect for Memorial day & 4th of July (Let Freedom Ring). I was hoping to get it either Friday or Saturday to use it this weekend, but no such luck. Will be using it for 4th of July cards only this year. That's OK. I've got a friend a with b-day right near 4th of July and this will work for that too. It's a very versatile set.

I hope you have a great holiday weekend!

Enjoy,
-Roberta

No comments: