Sunday, January 25, 2009

Vintage Valentines On My Mind

I've mentioned before (I think, anyway) that cutesy things are not "thing" - but sometimes, especially when it comes to vintage items, I do make an exception. Marc & I went antiquing yesterday and I was drawn to the vintage Valentines that were at virtually every display. I came across one booth that had a huge bowl full of them that said "your choice - $1 each" such deal! Well, as I went through the lot of them, I came across quite a few that had a pirate theme. As a Johnny Depp/Pirates of the Caribbean fan myself - how could I resist? But what vintage are these? Hum, I had to do some research on this and my best guess (maybe someone out there can correct me, however) is that this is probably from the early to mid-50's and probably due to the popularity of the original Disney Peter Pan movie which was released in 1953. A bit before my time, but so charming! I love the skull and cross bones (the skull is smiling!) and the card folds so the shovel is in the pirates hands. So, for those of you who think the skull thing is so original to our current generation, think again - what is old is new again! 

I continue working on my journaling for my Pam Carriker class. Pictures will have to follow within the next day or two. 

I have to mention that Rock 'n' Roll lost one it's most influential guitarist this month, for those of you who may not have heard, Ron Asheton best known from the Stooges. RIP. 

No comments: