Ok, I've been tagged by Aimeslee, my new found friend through Pam Carriker's online class (Hi, Aimeslee!). She has picked up on my cooking interests in my blog which is the other part of my Jeckle/Hyde lifestyle... I'm new at this so, anyway, here we go:
The six dishes I've always wanted to make. This is a tough one, because I always pride myself on tackling what I want to do in life. I had to get out the "Joy of Cooking" to give me some ideas on this one as I've tackled so many recipes already from cheesecake to hollandaise & béarnaise sauce, to tarts and everything in between. The other thing is that Marc & I are picky eaters, vegetarian for the most part with few exceptions. So, here's my list, and some of you will say my cooking is "not your cup of tea" and you'd be right... I always go a bit off the charts whether it be learning to cook or learning to paint - I live life with gusto and make the best of each moment.
#6: Vichyssoise. A class french soup based on potato leek soup (which is a personal favorite, so no real stretch here, but I've never tried making it). I love french cuisine!
#5: Indian Lentil Puree (Dal). I have cooked lentils in various form, but never tried making Dal. Sounds delicious.
#4: Gingerbread House. I've never made a ginger bread house. I have made the gingerbread people cookies. When we went to Walt Disney World for the Holidays we saw at the Grand Floridian that they make a life sized house you can actually walk into. I won't go to this extreme - but I could make a little table top sized one. :)
#3: Marzipan. Candy - this is a tough one. I make fudge. I make chocolate candies and truffles. I've done carmel corn, peanut brittle... but marzipan I have not attempted. When I went to Barcelona many years ago during the Holiday season, marzipan was everywhere. It was so beautiful. There is so much you can do with it. I did find that not so many people like to actually eat it, however. Something to consider. This has deterred me from working with it. I will try to get over this.
#2: Eclairs. The recipe for Choux paste has somewhat terrified me. Not sure why. After all, I make breads of all kinds. Get over it, Roberta! After all, I love (chocolate) eclairs much more than bread!
#1: Chocolate Torte. When I was a little girl, my next door neighbor (who was like a grandmother to me) was a retired baker from Yugoslavia. She made all kinds of wonderful baked delicacies, but most fondly of all, I remember the chocolate tortes she made for me when I was a child. They were not like the cakes my mom bought at the store, or like the cakes my mom made from a box or even like those my grandma made from scratch. They were nothing less than heavenly. I haven't attempted any recipe as I'm afraid I will only be disappointed by my attempt as nothing will compare with my memories of "Mrs." wonderful tortes. I will have to try it, if for no other reason, but to honor her memory, not in spite of it.
PS - I made the Hubert Keller Alsatian Onion Pie recipe on Wednesday and it was fabulous. It is excellent for breakfast the next day too.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Girl, I apologize for taking 2 days to get over here to read but I wanted to give people a couple of days before checking up. What an awesome list. Now do you see my ulterior motive. Such good reading! One of the other women I tagged, Jill, MADE a chocolate tort Friday night. I think that's what she made. It's thin in a ceramic round plate with fluted edge. Anyway, thanks for playing along, Roberta. You did great! :-))) xoxo
Post a Comment